When the skin loses collagen, it to starts show signs of aging such as fine lines around mouth and other facial parts. The occurrence of wrinkles around the face and smile lines usually happens to everyone because of aging. Due to the increasing demand for wrinkle treatment around the world, several cosmetic and dental clinics now offer services to reduce the visibility of fine lines. View more at www.beyond32dental.com.au/anti-wrinkle-treatment-cherrybrook/ to know the available services being offered to the market.
Mouth Wrinkles Classification
Perioral or mouth wrinkles are the terms used to describe the fine lines that are visible around the lip area. There are three types to identify mouth wrinkles;
- Smile lines. Smile lines are often seen on the sides of the mouth. These fine lines appear more visible when the person smile or laugh. Eye wrinkles also become more visible when laughing.
- Lipstick lines. This kind of line evolves on the upper part of the lip and the entire lip area.
- Marionette lines. The type of mouth wrinkles that develop with age are called the marionette lines. It starts from the mouth to the chin creating a saggy appearance.
What Causes Mouth Wrinkles
Smile lines and wrinkles around the mouth are usually the first types of fine lines that occur on the face. This is because of the thinness of the skin around the lip area and having less collagen compared to other facial skins. According to studies, our skin produces less than 1% of collagen annually as we turn 20 years of age.
Other factors are also to be considered, collagens play an important role in keeping our skin looking healthy and youthful as well as elastin and glycosaminoglycans. Slowly losing these 2 carbohydrate polymers will decrease the skin elasticity and hydration of your face.
Other external factors that can cause wrinkles around your mouth include;
- Smoking. Using cigarettes causes the skin to sag and show wrinkles earlier than expected. The habitual smoking facial expression that you make such as eye squinting and compressing your lips to inhale the smoke highly affects the production of wrinkles around your mouth.
- Genetics. Wrinkles are in fact genetic. It is considered a natural part of aging. Everyone will experience this, the only difference is how well each of us takes care of our skin to prevent its early signs.
- Chronic dryness. The area around the mouth is more prone to fine lines due to its usual exposure to different elements.
- Malnutrition. Not eating healthy foods leads to insufficiency in vitamins and nutritional deficiencies which contribute to smile lines as well.
- Stress. Our skin gets stress due to different factors like anxiety, smoking, and sun exposure. Stress can damage our skin because it alters the skin proteins and decreases elasticity resulting in the formation of fine lines.
- Dehydration. Fine lines occur when the skin is dehydrated. Skin dehydration is identified to produce triangular wrinkles around the mouth.
- Sun exposure. Getting exposed to UV light or the sun for too long speeds up the aging process of the skin. This is the principal cause of wrinkles and smile lines as it destroys the skin connective tissues such as collagen and elastin fibers.
Treating Mouth Wrinkles
To reduce the appearance of the mouth and facial fine lines, you can try different home and medical treatments. Mild lines that are just starting to form in your face can be treated by home remedies, however, deep visible lines may need chemical and medical treatments.
If the wrinkles are too deep and noticeable, home remedies may not be enough. Plenty of medical treatments can provide instant and applaudable results.
- Chemical peel. This anti-aging treatment removes the dead skin cells on the top layer of the skin and reveals the smoother layer underneath. A chemical peel is advised to be done once a month to maintain the skin’s glow.
- Botox. A very popular treatment that is inclusive of several injections to relax the muscles in the face. This technique is usually done on the eye area, however, fine lines around the mouth can also be treated by botox.
- Microdermabrasion and Dermabrasion. Both of these methods are used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles around the mouth. The process of dermabrasion includes using a large brush to remove some layers of the skin. Microdermabrasion is done with fine crystals to remove the topmost layer of the skin.
- Derma fillers. Deeper wrinkles are often treated with derma fillers. These injectables are composed of hyaluronic acid and poly-L-lactic acid. The idea is to plump the treatment area and smoothen the wrinkled skin temporarily.
- Microneedling. Inducing collagen to the skin is called microneedling. This technique includes skin pricking by using a derma roller to your face making it smoother after the skin heals from the process.
Essential oils. Applying essential oils to your skin will not thoroughly eliminate the fine lines but these natural oils can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and prevent the early occurrence of deep lines.
Some of the essential oils effective on treating fine lines are;
- Pomegranate. Pomegranate oil can reduce oxidative stress and prevents new wrinkles from forming. It can also reduce sunspots, cancer cell development, and inflammation.
- Lemon. This essential oil is rich in Vitamin C and is always used for skincare products. It helps in reducing wrinkles and signs of aging. Lemon fights off oxidation and prevents damages caused by sun exposure.
- Rosemary. Known due to its unique flavor, rosemary is often used as a seasoning for a variety of dishes. But aside from that, it is also discovered that rosemary oil can stop free radicals from destroying the skin elasticity.
- Sandalwood. Essential oils like sandalwood have anti-inflammatory properties that help in restoring the moisture in the skin. Hydrated skin appears to be plumper which lessens the appearance of fine lines.
- Clary sage. This sweet fragrant herb has antioxidant properties that eliminate free radicals that are dangerous to the skin and may damage DNA and skin proteins.
Bear in mind that citrus essential oils like lemon can cause the skin to be more sun-sensitive. Try to avoid exposing your face to the sun right after applying citrus essential oils. If possible, apply only before bedtime.
Hyaluronic acid is a substance that can be naturally found in our bodies. The main function of this is to hydrate the skin tissues and keep them moisturized. The cosmetic industry provides plenty of creams and facial products that include hyaluronic acid as the main ingredient. Hyaluronic acid supplements are also starting to rise as it claims to help the skin become plumper and more supple.
Wrinkles will eventually start to show up no matter what we do. But there are few things that we can do to prevent its early signs and avoid the formulation of deeper and more obvious lines.
Try to avoid doing activities that trigger the development of fine lines such as frequent smoking, practice using straws when drinking, keep yourself hydrated, eat healthy meals and keep your diet balanced, limit sun exposure, get enough sleep, reduce consumption of caffeine and alcohol, lastly, use products rich in minerals and substances such as hyaluronic acid, vitamin C and E, and antioxidants.
Taking care of our skin will not only boost our self-esteem and confidence, a healthy-looking skin indicates a healthier lifestyle and body. When we speak or face somebody, the first thing that they will notice is the skin on our faces. If you keep your face hydrated and moisturized, you will notice people frequently leaving remarks about how smooth looking and plump your skin looks.